CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Crayon Letter Shadowbox

I made these crayon letter shadowboxes last year for my daughter's preschool teachers after seeing the idea over at the Trendy Treehouse.  These were pretty easy to put together and didn't cost very much.  Here are the list of supplies you will need:
  • shadowbox type frame (I used an acrylic box frame)
  • cardstock
  • crayons
  • Xacto knife (plus a thick piece of cardboard for cutting)
  • hot glue gun
  • letter stickers (optional)
I started by taking apart the acrylic box frame.


Next, I printed the teacher's initial on a piece of cardstock.  I chose a very light line so it couldn't be seen if the crayons didn't cover it completely.  This piece of cardstock is the same size as the cardstock that came in the frame (minus the folded edges).




Then, using the Xacto knife, I started cutting my crayons as needed to form the shape of the letter.



Once the crayons were arranged how I liked, I used my hot glue gun to run a small strip of glue on the back and glued them into place on the cardstock.  I also used letter stickers to spell out the teacher's name on the side.




Finally, I placed the cardstock with the crayons onto the white cardstock that was inside my frame.  I pulled up the folded eges and slid the box frame on top of the creation.



I made two of these, and the second one with the letter 'M' was definitely a bit trickier but still turned out pretty well.


I paired the frames with a new notepad and pencils and tied them together with some pretty ribbon and these free teacher printables I found at Tip Junkie.


The teachers thought they were so cute, so I plan to make them again this year for my daughter's teachers as well.  These would work great for Teacher Appreciation Week or an end of the year gift.

1 comment:

  1. Acrylic frames are a much cheaper option for these Crayon monograms! Looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete