CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

New Skirt

I purchased this red sundress from a clearance sale at a local consignment shop.  I really didn't like the style of the dress, but I knew I could do something with the skirted part.  When I was clearing out my daughter's clothing I came across this pair of denim shorts that were too short (but still fit in the waist), and I came up with the idea to put the two together to create a cute little skirt.
 

I started by cutting the skirted part from the dress, leaving about 3 inches at the top for stitching to the shorts.  I don't have a picture to show, but I also removed the threading from the inseam of the shorts so they were completely open. 

Next, I folded the top part of the skirt over twice to create a neat hem and pinned it to the underside of the shorts.  I folded over the bottom of the shorts to create another clean line, and only had to cut a bit of the inseam to create a straight line.  I also restitched the inseam by the front zipper just to keep the fabric together.



Lastly, I  ran a straight stitch all the way around the pinned area.  I added a ribbon belt and a ruffled flower to this new skirt.  I think it turned out really cute and will be a great new addition to my daughter's spring wardrobe. 

Sharing this craft at the following blogs:

4 comments:

  1. Super cute! And clever to combine the two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimberly I know exactly what you mean, sometimes the length of something doesn't work, BUT, the waist still does. This is perfect, and you did an awesome job on it. I love the way it flows, and is so girly.

    Your daughter looks SUPER pleased with it, and she should be!!!

    I am totally happy you found your way to my blog, and I am your NEWEST follower, THANKS girl!!!

    Did you see my post about making a card for our soldiers??? You should really see if you can help out with this, I bet you could come up with something really special!!! Read about it HERE.



    THANKS so much for linking up to **AMAZE ME AUGUST**I love having you, and thanks to you, I'm getting close to my goal of having 100 link ups, YAYYY.



    Oh and PLEASE don't forget to come enter the giveaway from LUXE BLVD, she is now offering a $20.00 store CREDIT, so you can pick ANYTHING you want, how AWESOME right?? I would be so very thankful for the support, and so would STEPH !!!!



    Hugs, 
Bella :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cute! I love this idea. Thanks for sharing over at Tuesday Tell All.

    ReplyDelete