CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Uncle Sam Decoration

I made this Uncle Sam decoration ages ago (I can't remember where I saw the idea), but recently thought of making a few more to use as decorations for the summer holidays.  He is actually pretty easy to make.  Here is a list of supplies you will need:
  • terra cotta pot and saucer
  • metal coffee can
  • acrylic paint and brushes
  • floral wire
  • wooden stars
  • hot glue gun
  • painters tape (optional)
I started by painting all of my pieces first.  I painted the saucer blue.  I painted the rim of the pot white and the rest a peachy color; once dry I went back and painted on the simple face.  I painted the can in red and white stripes; to make my stripes nice and neat, I used painters tape.  And I painted both sides of my wooden stars yellow.

After everything had been painted and had a full 24 hours to dry, I glued everything together using epoxy (make sure to use the epoxy in a well ventilated area).  I cut a piece of floral wire long enough to fit around the can, curled it around a pencil, twisted the ends together, and slipped it over the can.  Then I hot glued the wooden stars randomly around the wire.

And that was it!  It's a really cute decoration and has held up really well to being outside for the past 5+ years.  I will sometimes use it as is for a decoration, or add some water and cut flowers to the can.  One year we also filled it with sand, stuck in some sparklers and lit them for a fun backyard bbq party.





Sharing at the following blogs:

1 comment:

  1. I featured you on my blog today - Live a fabuLESS life! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete