CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Fabric Organization

For a while now, I've had my fabric organized by color in piles.  Piles of folded fabric, that eventually started falling over once the pile got too big.  Piles of fabric falling over, off the shelf, onto the floor and making a mess that made it impossible to easily find what I needed for a project.

But, then it dawned on me to create my own fabric bolts, just like in the store.  This would allow me to more easily see all of my fabric at a glance and have easier access to my fabric as well.  I would no longer need to move an entire pile just to pull out the piece of fabric all the way at the bottom of the pile.

Since we had yet to take out our recycling I set to work cutting up every piece of cardboard we had.  Using a utility knife I cut the cardboard into approximately 6"x10" pieces.  Most of my fabric would easily wrap around this size when folded over and would fit in the new location.  I used straight pins to keep the fabric on the bolt and stacked similar colors in plastic baskets I picked up at the Dollar Store.

I do have a pile of fabric that I have a lot more of, that wouldn't fit on those smaller bolts.  It's just folded and piled right now, but I think I'm going to create larger bolts for those.  Here are a few pics of my newly organized stash.  So far, this system is working for me.  How do you organize your fabric?




1 comment:

  1. I wish I could be this organized when it comes to my fabrics. :)

    ReplyDelete