CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, February 4, 2011

Fingerprints

Being the mom of a science loving kid, I've been on the lookout for great science ideas to keep his interest going.  And, one of my favorite blogs is The Science Mommy, totally dedicated to science for kids.

I was browsing and saw a post about fingerprints, with a link for a great data sheet.  I knew both of my kids would enjoy this, so we gave it a try.

We started off by putting our fingerprints on the data sheet, then using magnifying glasses to study the different lines that made up each of our unique fingerprints.

 
 

We were surprised to find out that we all had different types of fingerprints, even though we are related.


I had tented arch type fingerprints, my son had whorl type fingerprints and my daughter had arch type fingerprints.

 

This was a fun activity that helped the kids practice their observation skills.  And my son extended this activity on his own, by asking if we could get fingerprints of other family members to see who had the same type.  So, fellow family members, don't be alarmed if we ask for your fingerprint the next time we see you.

No comments:

Post a Comment