CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, November 15, 2010

Mommy & Me Journal

My son is in the first grade and loves to write, so I thought a while back about making him a personal journal just for his writing.  Then I heard about an idea for the parent to write back and forth in the journal with the child.  I loved this idea!  I already write a little note and stick it in his lunch box each day, but this way, we would have more room to talk about anything. 

I started off with a simple black and white composition notebook.


Then, I used spray adhesive to attach some coordinating scrapbooking paper to the outside and inside of the book.  I had these family pages, one with "Mother" and one with "Son" that seemed perfect for this project!  I also added a piece of paper that looks like lined school paper to the inside front cover to write a little note to him about what the book is for.


Last but not least, I took a piece of wide ribbon and sealed the edges.  This would serve as our bookmark so we can find our page.


He found it this morning and was so excited to write to me!  We've already written back and forth once and I promised him another entry while he was in school today.  What does he like most about this?  That it is just for the two of us.  I like having that one-on-one time with him too.  <3

1 comment:

  1. This is such a great idea! I tried the journaling thing with my son when he was in first grade, mostly to get him to practice his lettering construction. We bought a notebook similar to the one you have shown here, but half of the page had no lines on it so that he could draw pictures to.

    I wish he had gotten into the idea more, but maybe if I present it to him like this, it will hold his attention longer.

    ReplyDelete